Have you heard the latest research? It turns out sitting is even worse for our health (and fitness) than we thought. And even if you do exercise regularly, you still face health risks if you are sedentary for the rest of your day. On top of these facts, some researchers argue that when it comes to weight loss or weight management, it's not even necessarily the people who "exercise" the most who come out on top: it's the people who are simply more "active" that tend to be the leanest. And do you know the easiest way to be more active? WALK! Research concludes that 10.000 steps a day is a good goal to set, and if you can achieve this daily you will be defined as "active".
Here are just some of the other benefits of walking:
I´m guessing most of you, like me, live in a big city..? So how are you gonna be able to walk 10.000 steps? Here is what I do to step it up(!):
- Take a detour. For instance, instead of going to the closest grocery store, go to one further away..
- Park your car at a parking lot further from home / work, or get off the bus or metro one stop early and walk the rest
- Take the stairs. This will get your heart pumping as well which is great for your general health and to maintain a strong heart muscle!
- Get up and walk around every time you´re in a phone call
- Set an alarm every hour while at work to remind you to get up and walk a little. Take the opportunity to go get more water and you´ll be even more healthy :D
To keep track of how many steps you´ve walked, use an activity band like fitbit or apple watch, or simply your phone (just remember to bring it with you when you walk!). Almost all smartphones offer step count. In iPhone you´ll find it in the health app, and it will look like this:
How many steps do you take on a normal day? And are you in on stepping it up and aiming for 10.000 steps a day?💪
Lots of love,